Friday, December 7, 2007

Cessation?

I've been thinking about this issue for a while now. After hearing some men at The Pursuit a few weeks ago tell me about Sovereign Grace Ministry's position I see a distinction between what some consider charismatic and the modern pentecostal movement. There are basically 4 "movements" regarding this issue today. (This is a regurgitation of an article I read last night, found here from the Master's Seminary Journal) One is classic pentecostalism, another is the modern charismatic movement, the third is "third wave" theology and the last is cessationism. The article referenced gives excellent history to all of these.

From a child the fourth view has been presented to me as truth. The first two believe that the baptism of the Spirit follows Salvation which is unbiblical and therefore I reject both. However, the third viewpoint (what was presented to me at the conference) is rooted in good Scriptural exegesis and honest conviction. Stitzinger, in the article noted above, mentions that the third wave opinion is held by men such as Piper, Grudem and Lloyd-Jones.

I need the Spirit to move me and illumine me from the Word to know which direction I should take on this issue. Right now I see good evidence for both views, but I don't have a leaning either way. So, for the few people that actually know this blog exists, please gives your thoughts and the Scriptures behind them for a good godly discussion. May the Lord lead us into His perfect Truth!

No comments: