Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Not Condemned

Romans 8:1 says that there is now no condemnation to those in Christ. That's me, and I must admit that it feels very nice to be uncondemned in the eyes of an all-holy God. This is not because of my merit or goodness. It is only because the righteous life of Christ counts for me.

This beautiful verse follows Paul's open confession regarding how he doesn't do the things that his new man wants to do, but then does those things that his new man does not want to do. He describes the phenomenon as a war - flesh against Spirit. He culminates the emotional misery by declaring "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" His next thought is of Christ.

Being in Christ gives us all that we need for life and godliness. This includes the righteousness we need to stand before God justified. Sanctification is becoming what we have already been declared to be - a work of faith just as justification is. May the Lord teach us all to live as not-condemned people who are sanctified through grace and faith and not a working of our own wills.

1 comment:

Redeemer Fellowship said...

It is an unbelievable relief to live in freedom from the condemnation of God. It isn't that we sin because we are free, but we are free to live unto God in a way that exults Him. The fact that God says "Not Condemned" to every sinner saved by grace, should set our heart free to do what pleases Him. The natural reaction is to fall into my sin and live with the guilt of falling. Now I can live completely unto Christ!