Sunday, February 24, 2008

Humility Review

I just finished a book that I think I need to read every month. CJ Mahaney's Humility: True Greatness was convicting and encouraging throughout. I recommend it to all Christians of all ages and all theological slants.

I should not have been surprised (considering the author) that the book's main thrust is to look to the Cross as an inspiration of humility. CJ builds the first several chapters to a climax where we see that Christ, as the ultimate demonstrator of humility, lead His flock into His great display humility - the Cross. On the Cross He took upon Him our sin, a display of ultimate selflessness. When I am proud I have lost sight of the Glories of Calvary. I view myself not as I should - I put myself higher than I ought. The Cross should have the effect of abasing us all as we prostrate ourselves before the unfathomable display of great love and sacrifice. O for Grace to always be impressed with the horrific sin I possess and the great payment by the Savior.

CJ devotes about half of the work to describing specific practices that help to remove pride and selfishness. These are helpful and also demonstrate his humble spirit in sharing with the world what he seeks to do to allow the Lord's grace to work in his own proud heart.

If we pray for the Spirit's help to illuminate the seriousness of our sin He will reveal it in the shadow of the Cross. We will then see the infinite grace that was there poured out into our souls - grace that frees us to live in humility as Christ did. This is true greatness.

No comments: